Join us on this deeply moving episode of the Begin Again podcast as we delve into the remarkable story of Arlina Allen, a courageous individual who has triumphed over addiction and alcoholism. Arlina fearlessly opens up about her early experiences with trauma, including sexual abuse and her parents’ divorce, and how these profound events shaped her desire to find solace through substances.
Through raw and honest storytelling, Arlina recounts her journey of hitting rock bottom, battling destructive alter egos, and receiving a powerful wake-up call from her sister. With unwavering determination, she shares her personal quest to question her drinking habits, experiment with moderation, and ultimately surrender to the realization that she needed professional help.
Discover how Arlina’s path to recovery unfolded, as she found her true self through the transformative power of working with a compassionate sponsor. Gain invaluable insights into her struggle with substituting one addiction for another, and how she ultimately embraced sobriety by letting go of all harmful substances.
Explore the depths of Arlina’s understanding of human behavior and the profound impact of changing one’s thoughts and doing the necessary inner work. Learn about her profound journey of self-reflection, empathy, and taking responsibility for one’s actions in order to find clarity and make amends.
As the episode progresses, Arlina shares her exploration of various therapies and approaches beyond the traditional 12-step program, leading her to create the Sober Life School as a resource hub for individuals seeking alternative paths to sobriety.
Discover the limitations of the 12-step program and the critical importance of trauma-informed support as Arlina delves into the profound insights she gained from renowned hypnosis expert Dr. David Spiegel. Gain a deeper understanding of parts work therapy, where individuals address protective parts, unburden their inner child, and heal from a place of authenticity.
Uncover the significance of reframing experiences and understanding triggers through the powerful combination of hypnosis and parts work, as Arlina emphasizes the importance of addressing unresolved trauma and the subconscious belief system to avoid relapse.
With empathy and wisdom, Arlina analyzes the behavior of those who may have relapsed, shedding light on the vital role that empathy and unresolved trauma play in the recovery journey.
Don’t miss out on this transformative episode, where Arlina also shares valuable tips and insights from her podcast and book, debunking common misconceptions about the 12-step program and offering hope and inspiration to those seeking their own path to sobriety.
The views and opinions expressed by our guests are their own and do not necessarily reflect the stand or beliefs of the host or the podcast. We aim to provide a diverse range of perspectives and ideas, fostering open and respectful discussions. We encourage critical thinking and forming your own conclusions. Enjoy the show!
About Our Guest (Arlina Allen)
Arlina Allen is a remarkable individual who has triumphed over addiction and alcoholism. After experiencing trauma and using substances as a means of solace, Arlina hit rock bottom and realized she needed professional help. Through her journey of self-reflection, empathy, and taking responsibility for her actions, Arlina embraced sobriety and found her true self. She has since created the Sober Life School, a resource hub for individuals seeking alternative paths to sobriety. Arlina shares valuable insights from her own experiences, debunking common misconceptions about the 12-step program and offering hope and inspiration to those seeking their own path to sobriety.
Follow Arlina on Instagram (@arlinaallen) and visit her website (https://www.SoberLifeSchool.com/) to learn more about her work and join her community.
- [01:49] Arlina shares her early experiences with addiction and alcoholism, including the trauma of sexual abuse and her parents’ divorce, and how those experiences shaped her desire to change how she felt, leading to her first drink at a young age.
- [07:15] Arlina shares a personal story about hitting rock bottom in her addiction, involving alter egos, destructive behavior, and a wake-up call from her sister.
- [11:12] Arlina shares her personal journey of questioning her drinking habits, attempting moderation, and finally surrendering to the realization that she was not able to moderate her drinking, leading her to seek help through a 12-step program.
- [15:47] Arlina shares her journey of transformation and finding her true self through recovery and working with a sponsor.
- [17:39] Arlina shares her experience with finding a supportive sponsor who guided her through the steps of recovery with compassion and gentleness.
- [20:20] Arlina shares her journey to sobriety, discussing her initial struggle with marijuana as a substitute before realizing she needed to let go of it too.
- [27:47] Arlina shares her personal journey of addiction recovery, her fascination with understanding human behavior, and the transformative power of changing one’s thoughts and doing the necessary work.
- [29:43] Arlina shares discusses the power of self-reflection, empathy, and taking responsibility for one’s actions in order to make amends and find clarity in life.
- [31:50] Arlina discusses her personal journey of understanding her maladaptive coping skills and the impact of trauma on her emotions.
- [33:53] Arlina shares her journey of addiction recovery, exploring various therapies and approaches beyond the traditional 12-step program, leading her to create Sober Life School as a resource hub for people seeking different paths to sobriety.
- [40:22] Arlina discusses the limitations of the 12-step program and the importance of trauma-informed support.
- [42:57] Arlina shared when she interviewed Dr. David Spiegel, a world-renowned hypnosis expert, who explains why victims often feel guilty and take on inappropriate responsibility in challenging situations.
- [45:52] Arlina explains the premise of parts work therapy, where individuals address their protective parts, unburden their inner child, and bring them home to heal and respond authentically from their higher self.
- [48:09] Arlina discusses the importance of treating unhealed trauma with empathy and compassion.
- [50:31] Arlina discusses the process of reframing experiences to understand the cause and effect of triggers and how combining hypnosis and parts work can address unresolved trauma.
- [52:37] Arlina discusses the importance of the subconscious belief system and how it affects our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors, emphasizing the need for professional help alongside 12-step programs to address underlying trauma and avoid relapse.
- [55:36] Arlina discusses the importance of empathy and unresolved trauma as she analyzes the behavior of a person who may have relapsed.
- [57:48] Arlina discusses her podcast and book, sharing tips and insights on her journey of recovery and addressing common misconceptions about the 12-step program.
For more incredible and inspiring stories of those who have overcome alcoholism and addiction, tune in to the next episodes of The Begin Again Podcast through:
- Apple Podcast: https://apple.co/3RELLAy
- Spotify: https://spoti.fi/3TMhbHJ
- Google Podcasts Manager: https://bit.ly/3txfhQS
- Castbox: https://bit.ly/3H67Umw
- Podfriend: https://bit.ly/4aErnrT
- Goodpods: https://bit.ly/3RKHZFZ
- Amazon Music: https://amzn.to/48hzEjT
- iHeart Radio: https://ihr.fm/3NOly1t
- TuneIn + Alexa: https://bit.ly/3tDCH78
- Podcast Addict: https://bit.ly/3TQ7ND5
- Podchaser: https://bit.ly/48hzUiR
- Deezer: https://bit.ly/4aF4UuX
- Player FM: https://bit.ly/48BRON8
- Listen Notes: https://bit.ly/48FpMAs