In this powerful episode, host Gary Menkes sits down with Curtis Pelletier, a certified mental coach and author, to explore his extraordinary journey of battling alcoholism and finding recovery through his love for baseball. Curtis courageously shares his personal struggles with addiction, revealing the profound impact it had on his baseball career and personal life.
Join us as Curtis opens up about the surprising intervention that led him to seek treatment, and the importance of using fear and shame as motivation for success. He shares the challenges of transitioning back to real life after rehab and the significance of prioritizing personal relationships.
Through this inspiring conversation, Curtis provides valuable insights into his own journey of understanding recovery, self-love, and adapting to life after rehab. He also discusses the conflicting emotions of witnessing friends achieve traditional milestones, while using their success as motivation to delve deeper into his own journey.
Discover the profound impact of sobriety on Curtis’ life, as he reflects on the positive influence it has had on his relationships with his children and the freedom from emotional baggage.
Curtis also shares his remarkable transformation from being a successful general manager in the baseball industry to selling his business and focusing on helping people in recovery. He emphasizes the importance of prioritizing personal relationships over seeking validation from others, and the significance of surrounding oneself with individuals who prioritize their responsibilities and take care of their business in all aspects of life.
Don’t miss this captivating episode, filled with powerful insights and inspiring stories of resilience. Tune in now to hear Curtis Pelletier’s incredible journey of overcoming addiction through the lens of his love for baseball.
The views and opinions expressed by our guests are their own and do not necessarily reflect the stand or beliefs of the host or the podcast. We aim to provide a diverse range of perspectives and ideas, fostering open and respectful discussions. We encourage critical thinking and forming your own conclusions. Enjoy the show!
About Our Guest (Curtis Pelletier)
Canadian-born Curtis Pelletier is a certified mental performance coach, life coach, and recovery coach. With an impressive background in baseball, Curtis has played at the highest levels of the sport, including being a Professional All-Star, College World Series Champion, and a member of the Canadian National Team. He has also worked as a scout for the Chicago Cubs and Miami Marlins. Curtis’s athletic talents extend beyond baseball, as he was also a standout in soccer, football, and golf. As a happily married father of three daughters, Curtis has also successfully run and started various businesses, showcasing his diverse skills and experience. Despite his numerous accomplishments, Curtis has faced his fair share of challenges, including battling addiction. However, he has overcome these obstacles and now dedicates his life to helping others achieve their goals and find recovery.
Follow Curtis Pelletier for more insights and inspiration.
- [01:15] Gary Menkes interviews Curtis Pelletier, a certified mental coach and author, who shares his personal journey of battling alcoholism and finding recovery through the lens of his love for baseball.
- [04:48] Curtis emphasizes the importance of using fear and shame as motivation to achieve success in life and recovery, drawing parallels to the game of baseball and the need for backup systems when not performing at one’s best.
- [07:19] Curtis shares his journey as a talented high school baseball player who became obsessed with the game, but lacked balance in his life, leading to a wild college experience filled with partying and winning games.
- [09:32] Curtis reflects on his struggle with alcoholism and the impact it had on his baseball career, as well as his personal life, leading him to make regretful decisions and seek a path of self-destruction.
- [15:06] Curtis shares his struggle with decision-making and handling simple tasks while being drunk on the job as a plumber, leading to a breaking point where he couldn’t even manage his daughter’s lunch order.
- [16:32] Curtis shares his journey of addiction and how a surprise intervention by his family led him to seek treatment.
- [21:22] Curtis shares his personal experience of creating his own routines and waking up at 4 a.m. every day, discussing how it works for him but may not work for everyone, and how rehab helped him but also presented challenges when transitioning back to real life.
- [23:27] Curtis shares his personal journey of understanding recovery, self-love, and adapting to life after rehab.
- [25:25] Curtis talks about an app that helped him stay sober by monitoring his blood alcohol levels and sending alerts, while also expressing his gratitude for baseball and the sense of community it brings.
- [30:11] Curtis discusses the conflicting emotions of seeing friends achieve traditional milestones while using their success as motivation to delve deeper into his own journey.
- [32:19] Curtis emphasizes the importance of loyalty being a two-way street and not a one-way road to nowhere.
- [34:29] Curtis and Gary discuss the impact of sobriety on their lives, the positive influence it has had on their relationships with their children and the freedom from emotional baggage.
- [37:58] Curtis shares his journey from being a volunteer coach to becoming a general manager and building a successful baseball organization, but realizes that he had lost himself in the process and decides to sell his business and focus on helping people in recovery.
- [40:48] Curtis emphasizes the importance of prioritizing personal relationships over seeking validation from others.
- [43:29] Curtis and Gary discuss the importance of prioritizing family over work and the realization that family is a significant piece of one’s life, with different priorities shifting depending on the circumstances.
- [45:57] Curtis and Gary discuss the importance of surrounding oneself with individuals who prioritize their responsibilities and take care of their business in all aspects of life in order to avoid succumbing to temptations and negative influences.
- [48:55] Curtis and Gary discuss the importance of service and accountability in finding the sweet spot of making a living while helping others, with Curtis sharing his contact information on Instagram as @coachcurtismpc and his website as curtispel.ca.
For more incredible and inspiring stories of those who have overcome alcoholism and addiction, tune in to the next episodes of The Begin Again Podcast through:
- Apple Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/ph/podcast/the-begin-again-podcast/id1683912926
- Spotify: The Begin Again Podcast
- Google Podcasts Manager: The Begin Again Podcast – Trailer
- Castbox: The Begin Again Podcast | Listen Free on Castbox.
- Podfriend: https://www.podfriend.com/podcast/the-begin-again-podcast/
- Goodpods: The Begin Again Podcast – Listen & Review on Goodpods
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/bbe1f8cf-99ab-44da-b0ee-531e80f5fa1c/the-begin-again-podcast
- iHeart Radio: The Begin Again Podcast | iHeart
- TuneIn + Alexa: The Begin Again Podcast
- Podcast Addict: https://podcastaddict.com/podcast/the-begin-again-podcast/4522200
- Podchaser: https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/the-begin-again-podcast-5290907
- Deezer: The Begin Again Podcast
- Player FM: https://player.fm/series/the-begin-again-podcast
- Listen Notes: https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-begin-again-podcast-gary-menkes-fVr19H_v-yO/